A Virginia judge on Tuesday approved an $11 million settlement from the state to the families of victims killed or injured in last year’s Virginia Tech shootings. The 24 victims included in the settlement were among the 32 killed by Seung-Hui Cho’s April 16, 2007, shooting rampage. The settlement also compensates 18 people injured.
var CNN_ArticleChanger = new CNN_imageChanger(‘cnnImgChngr’,’/2008/US/06/17/virginia.tech.settlement/imgChng/p1-0.init.exclude.html’,1,1); //CNN.imageChanger.load(‘cnnImgChngr’,’imgChng/p1-0.exclude.html’);
“The commonwealth has endeavored to meet the needs and concerns of the victims, including family members, through both monetary and non-monetary provisions,” said Chief Deputy Attorney General William C. Mims. Of the remaining eight deceased victims, families of two chose not to file claims and two other claims are unresolved. The other four will be brought forward at a later date, Mims said.
The settlement also includes provisions that allow the families to occasionally meet with the governor and Virginia Tech officials to review legislation and improvements made at the campus in response to the tragedy.