The announcement by the team Monday comes a day before he is scheduled to enter a plea in the case. Anthony was also named to the U.S. Olympic team Monday.
Nuggets vice president of basketball operations Mark Warkentien said in a written statement the team will continue to support Anthony as he “strives to live up to the high expectations” set by the Nuggets and by Anthony.
Warkentien also said in the statement the team takes “drinking and driving very seriously” and that they will continue to handle the matter internally and will not comment further.
Anthony was arrested April 14 on Interstate 25. Police said Anthony was weaving and not dimming his lights when he was pulled over. He was driving alone at the time.
Police also said Anthony failed a series of sobriety tests. Following his arrest, Anthony apologized to his team and his fans and said his behavior was “truly and totally unacceptable.”
“I’m here to man up to my mistake, just to let you know that I’m truly sorry for what happened and everything that’s going on,” Anthony said then.
Three weeks later, Anthony was ticketed for driving 60 mph in a 45-mph zone. The 24-year-old paid a $130 fine on that case last week.
Anthony’s attorney, Dan Recht, did not immediately return a call after hours Monday.
Anthony was also suspended last season after his involvement in a brawl with the New York Knicks during a game at Madison Square Garden. In that case, he was suspended for 15 games after he punched Knicks guard Mardy Collins.
The Olympic selection is the second for Anthony, who also played for the U.S. in Athens in 2004.